Dogs and cats age much faster than humans and their organ systems also age at a much faster rate. Blood tests provide useful information about the health and function of your pet’s organ systems fluid balance.
The Benefits of wellness care:
- Establish healthy baseline values
- Many patients show subtle changes in their blood values over time. These changes cannot be identified without knowing the normal level for that individual patient.
- It is especially important to obtain these values when the patient is young, prior to any illness or age related changes.
- Identify unseen disease at an early age
- Disease identified before clinical signs are evident, increases the likelihood of a successful outcome.
- Diagnosing disease early often lessons the cost of treatment.
- Early identification of a problem prevents waiting for obvious signs of tragic illness.
- Serves as a pre-anesthetic health screen for any surgical or dental procedure
- Patients starting or receiving medication
- A blood profile may help avoid using medications that may be unsafe for a pet’s medical condition or health status.
- Regular blood tests ensure that we can identify unwanted side effects that can occur with many medications.
Dogs today are living longer than ever before, thanks to increasing knowledge about nutritional needs and advances in veterinary medicine. There is a price to be paid for those extra years however, and that price is an increase in geriatric disorders.
These problems and changes that your dog may experience are remarkably similar to those faced by their human counterparts. It’s vitally important that you work closely with your dog’s veterinarian to develop a health plan suitable for your senior pet.
Some of the more common problems are osteoarthritis, which when combined with weight gain can severely limit mobility; kidney, liver, and heart disease; tumors and cancers; hormone disorders such as diabetes and thyroid imbalance; and many others. Some of the topics you should discuss with your veterinarian to ensure your senior pet optimal care are listed below.